Having spent years encoding macOS apps, we've created a tool that can be used by anyone. It is an all-in-one solution for Mac problems..
So here's a tip for you: Download MacMaster to quickly fix the issues mentioned in this article. But to help you do it on your own, we've rounded up the best ideas and solutions in the space below.
What is .DS_Store?
Although the .DS_Store file (denoting "Desktop Services") may seem like one too many items in a folder, it is still very important in helping a Mac display a folder correctly when you open it..
This file is created by the Finder each time a .zip file is created, it contains information about opening a folder, such as the position of icons, the size and shape of the window as well as the position that had the window when it was last opened on your computer desktop. You can also find .DS_Store files in archives received from other Mac users.
Files in a folder on your Mac do not cause any damage. This is quite an interesting point as the only way to prevent their creation is to leave a folder using the Finder, an action that is often overlooked by many..
Why would you need to delete the .DS_Store files?
But why would you need to get rid of files that don't hurt and take up a lot of space in your folders? Here are a few reasons:
1. You need to reset display settings.
2. The Finder works strangely when you open a folder. Just like any other file on the computer, .DS_Store files can be corrupted. Failure to see or rearrange icons, change viewing options, or quickly edit a folder are signs that a .DS_Store file is not working properly.
3. You are transferring files between your Mac and another system, but when you move files from your computer to a Windows or Linux system, a .DS_Store file might cause unexpected problems. These files are unfamiliar to these operating systems and to users unfamiliar with macOS.
How do I delete a .DS_Store file?
Before we show you how it works, let us reassure you that you are not risking absolutely anything by deleting a .DS_Store file. There will be no impact on your file.
You should also know that once the preferences have been changed, the Finder will create a new .DS_Store file that you probably want to delete as well. In fact, the war between you and .DS_Store will never end.
Deleting .DS_Store Files: The Easy Way
FonePaw MacMaster is a smart Mac cleaner that will let you delete .DS_Store files easily. It is really very easy to use, you won't have to worry about it.
You can also use the application to clean other system files, duplicate files, caches, applications along with their data and much more.
Here are the basic steps:
1. Download FonePaw MacMaster and install it on your Mac.
2. Start FonePaw MacMaster.
3. When you are on the main application interface, click on the “Master Scan” button to start scanning your Mac.
4. Click on the “System Cache” option. In the right part of the interface, check all the .DS_Store files and click on the “Clean” button.
Besides deleting junk files, this program is also capable of finding and removing all duplicate files, unnecessary iTunes files as well as large and old files from your Mac. Moreover, it also offers an uninstall feature which makes uninstalling a program quickly and easily. It is also able to manage plug-ins and confidential Mac data.
Manual removal of .DS_Store files
If you want to use a manual method to delete .DS_Store files individually, then you can use Terminal:
- Go to "Applications"> "Utilities"> "Terminal".
- Locate the folder or path containing the .DS_Store file that you want to delete.
- Type "cd" followed by the path to the folder in Terminal, you should write something like: cd / Users / [Username] / [Folder name].
- Press the "Enter" key.
- Type "find. -name '.DS_Store' -type f -delete '.
- Press the "Enter" key.
The .DS_Store file of the selected folder will finally disappear.
Delete junk files from your Mac
The .DS_Store files are really very useful in helping a creator to better manage the viewing preferences of the folder view. But when these preferences become unnecessary and the files start to work weirdly, then it would be better to get rid of them and delete them from your Mac using the methods in this article.
MacMaster has been specially designed to help you remove unnecessary files from your computer and keep your Mac running smoothly. So download it so that your folders and files can work as they should.