No product can keep its perfect condition after being taken out of the box..
The PlayStation 5 will retain its performance over time, but it could start to overheat due to too much dust preventing the air from flowing properly. It won't happen overnight obviously, but if you neglect your PS5 in a dusty room for too long, it will eventually happen.
Cleaning a PlayStation just got a lot easier with the addition of the removable flap on the PS4. Removing the top layer allows players to clean the fans without the need to remove a warranty tag..
Sony puts some tips in the user manual on how to clean the PS5, and the design has even been improved to make it easier. Here's how to clean up your PS5 and bring it back to its glory days.
How to clean your PlayStation 5?
It doesn't matter if you have the digital or standard version of the PS5, you will need compressed air, an adjustable vacuum cleaner and a microfiber cloth..
- Once you've got all of that stuff together, just set the console to the side and unplug it. This will make it easier to have your hand.
- You must then raise the rear corner of the white plates and slide them to the side.
- If you're struggling with this process, the official PS5 opening video may give you a better idea of how to do it.
- After removing the plates, you will have access to the fan and two triangular holes.
- It is possible to vacuum the dust collected by the dust guard (the triangles), but be careful not to apply too much pressure. Start with a very low power and increase it if you think it's safe and you need to collect more dust.
- Vacuuming the fans, on the other hand, won't do much and could damage them. They must be cleaned with compressed air and above all, ensure that the fan does not move by holding it with your fingers.
- If you decide to use something similar to pliers to hold the fan in place, be very careful not to drop it into it.
- Once the fan is secure, start using compressed air on the fan. For best results, it is possible to ask someone for help to suck up the dust coming out of the fan so as not to leave dust everywhere.
Here is the cleaning that must be done without risking breaking the warranty, because disassembling the console will have this consequence. If this simple cleaning does not correct the overheating problem, then it will be necessary to seek professional help or send it to the warranty.
Advanced users who have already exceeded their warranty period or would like to clean their system regardless of the consequences can follow this guide .
Although removing the warranty labels will remove the effect of the warranty, Sony is tending to remove this practice over time. In 2018, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) criticized the vendor and pushed it to accept warranty claims even if labels were broken in the console.
Note that this will depend a lot on the country or state you are in. Even if you are in an area where the law favors you, we still recommend that you contact Sony support or place of purchase first.