Microsoft through its Insider program gives us the opportunity to know what will come in the next edition of Windows Server and it is its version 2022 ( Windows Server 2022 ) which changes its appearance but maintains the essence of the system in terms of roles, services and performance is concerned..
Windows Server is tasked with being a central point for administrators to offer client computers and users better management options, and one of these roles is the ability for Windows Server 2022 to act as a file server.
When we talk about a file server we mean that the server is able to offer a central location in the local network to store files and share them with domain users, facilitating this type of task, this logically can go with certain permissions in based on the criteria and level of privacy of the information..
In Windows Server we can manage
By acting in this mode, Windows Server 2022 allows us to manage:
- Work folders: these allow users to store and have access to work files, being these managed by the server administrator
- ISCSI Target Server - Allows you to create hardware independent iSCSI disk subsystems which are based on storage area network (SAN) software
- Data deduplication: is a feature that reduces the hard disk space requirements of files by optimizing overall storage space
- Storage spaces: it is a function that allows to have high availability storage
- Windows PowerShell: known to all, this gives us the opportunity to automate the management of file server administration tasks
- Storage Spaces Direct - Creates a new level of scalable and available storage through local storage servers
- Storage Quality of Service - centrally monitors storage performance on the system
- Storage Replica - Synchronously replicate storage across servers and clusters for data availability
TechnoWikis will explain how to install and configure a file server in Windows Server 2022.
To stay up to date, remember to subscribe to our YouTube channel! SUBSCRIBE
How to install and configure a file server in Windows Server 2022
We go to the folder that will act as a repository, we right click on it and select "Properties":
In the pop-up tab we go to the "Share" tab. We click on "Advanced sharing":
We activate the "Share this folder" box and assign the name to the shared resource:
Now we click on "Permissions" and we will see the following:
Click on "Add"
We add "Domain users":
We see the added group:
We configure the appropriate permissions and apply the changes, we can see the path established with the shared folder:
We close the window..
On the client computer from "Network" you can access the shared folder on the server:
In the "Server Manager" we go to "File Services and Shares":
In "Shared Resources" we will see the previously shared folder:
We right click on the folder and go to "Properties":
Then we go to "Configuration" and we will see the following:
We activate the "Enable enumeration based on access" box:
Apply the changes by clicking apply and then Add.
The available options are:
- Enable access-based enumeration: allow users to only view folders with edit permission, those that are read-only will be hidden
- Allow share caching: enable sharing without connection
- Enable BranchCache on file share: This option caches resources for later access
- Encrypt Data Access - Encrypts access to files for added security.
Now we create a folder with read-only permissions:
We can verify that this will not be visible from the client computer:
We go to the Server Manager and click on "Add roles and characteristics":
The following wizard will be displayed:
We select "Feature-based or role-based installation":
In the next window we select the server:
Click Next to go to the roles section, go to "File and storage services", display "iSCI and file services" and locate "File server resource manager":
We activate its box and we must add the characteristics:
We will see the active role:
Click Next and skip the “Features” section, we will see a summary of the role to add:
Click Install to complete the process:
At the end of the action we will see the following:
We left the assistant.
Now we go to "Tools - File server resource manager":
The following window will be displayed where we can see the various options to use:
In this section we can apply quotas or limits for storage so that the disk is not occupied with non-essential data. We can filter the types of files to be used on the file server if we want:
We are going to create a quota to see how it works, right click on "Quotas" and select "Create quota":
We set the path and the parameter, apply the changes:
We see the quota created:
When we try to copy something in the folder that exceeds the quota we will see the following error:
It is possible to create a shared resource from the administrator, for this we go to "File services and shared resources", then we go to Shared Resources and in Tasks select "New share":
The following window will be displayed where we select the profile to use:
We select the location where the resource will be:
Then we set the resource path:
Click Next and configure the desired parameters:
Next we define the permissions:
Click Next to see a summary of the resource:
Click on Create to apply the changes:
We will see the new share:
On the client computer we will have access to the new share in Windows Server 2022:
This is the step-by-step process to install and configure a file server on Windows Server 2022.